Community Health Worker-Bilingual (Mankato, MN)
Open Door Health Center is seeking a bi-lingual candidate for a fulltime position as a Community Health Worker The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for reducing barriers to health and human services among vulnerable populations, providing health care literacy through advocacy with the individual, family, community and other health care organizations, and works to ensure integration of care.
• Serves as a liaison between the patient/clients, clinical providers, staff and area organizations who provider social services support.
• Supports the needs of clinical providers and staff to create support for patient needs.
• Acts as a member of the patient-centered health care home team.
• Builds relationships, trust and rapport with the community and as a representative of ODHC in the communities we serve.
• Provides culturally appropriate health education while empowering the patient/client to be part of the decision making process.
• Participate in local/regional task forces and events that work toward the common mission of serving patients.
• Keep up to date on resources in the community that are available to meet the patient’s needs.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Qualifications:
• Post secondary education with a certification in Community Health or a degree in Social Work.
• A minimum of 1 year related work experience in case management, community health, counseling, social work or other related field.
• Knowledgeable of community organizations.
• Experience working with a diverse population of people.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Confidence, professional judgement and grace under pressure.
• Bi-lingual skills a must (English/Spanish or English/Somali).